19. Lesher Graveyard
aka Antrim Mennonite Graveyard
During the 1790s, the Mennonites of Antrim Township built a log meetinghouse on the property of Henry Snively (1739-1802). The meetinghouse is mentioned in his will in 1801.
A cemetery for the Mennonites was associated with this meetinghouse, and may or may not have been distinct from the two Snively Graveyards also found in this locality. The plot contained 13.5 perches of well fenced land, set aside as a place for burials forever.
Daniel R. Lehman states that Jacob Lesher and his wife are buried in this graveyard. Neither the site nor the existence of the graveyard have been further documented.
These Mennonites built a larger meetinghouse at Brown's Mill in 1830, and apparently the cemetery was abandoned thereafter.
Daniel R. Lehman, Mennonites of the Washington County, Maryland and Franklin County, Pennslvania Conference, (Lititz, Pa.:Eastern Mennonite Publications, 1990), p.10.
Lillian Colletta, "The Lure and Lore of Burial Grounds of Greencastle- Antrim, Journal of the Kittochtinny Historical Society, Vol. XVII, 1978-1981; p.290.
return to Cemeteries of Antrim Township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania
return to Cemeteries of Franklin County, Pennsylvania homepage
return to Cemeteries Online! mainpage