This cemetery is located along US Rt. 16 west of Greencastle, Pa. The old portion of the cemetery is on the south side, while the new portion is to the north.
A portion of the older section of Cedar Hill Cemetery.
The south west corner of the old portion of this cemetery was used for African American burials, and was formerly known as "Pleasant Hill Cemetery".
Directly west of the new portion of the cemetery was a burial plot used by the Mormon colony in the early 1800s. This is the former site of an (Old) Morman Graveyard.
A substantial number of gravestones were moved to Cedar Hill Cemetery throughout its development. An effort is being conducted through "Cemeteries Online" to identify the graveyards from which these markers were relocated. This can become a quite tedious task, but fortunately we are making some progress.
1. Grave markers were removed from the Associate Reformed Cemetery which had existed on East Baltimore Street, Greencastle, before the church and cemetery were destroyed. The graveyard was removed to Cedar Hill in at least two stages, although the dates of either are uncertain. See Associate Reformed Cemetery for more information.
2. In July 1958, an undocumented number of grave markers were removed from the First United Brethren (now United Methodist) Church at 51 North Washington Street, Greencastle. A bronze plaque exists at Cedar Hill with the following inscription:
"This hallowed place is dedicated to the memory of those originally buried in the cemetery of the First E. U. B. Church, Greencastle, between 1812-1889, and removed to this plot July 1958."
However, the grave markers themselves were not moved to Cedar Hill, as the transcriptions known from the former site do not match any at Cedar Hill. Perhaps the gravestones were destroyed. Unfortunately the plaque at Cedar Hill does not identify individuals.
3. A substantial number of grave markers were moved from Moss Spring Presbyterian Cemetery after Cedar Hill became established in 1870. There was concern that the Moss Spring Cemetery did not receive proper care, and apparently specific families removed their ancestral markers and relocated them to Cedar Hill at their own discretion. Some markers moved to Cedar Hill include the names Fleming, Allison, Davidson, and Fatzinger.
4. Five or seven markers of the Shank Family were moved to Cedar Hill Cemetery from the Shank Farm Graveyard sometime before 1975. At that time a wall still existed to mark the former site of this graveyard, but through time the wall has also dissappeared.
5. Four new grave markers were placed at Cedar Hill commemorating the family of Andrew Snively. A graveyard had previously existed on the Andrew Snively homestead in Antrim Township, known through this database as Snively Graveyard (1), but had been destroyed by the 1960s.
6. Four of the grave markers of the Johnston Family Graveyard were moved to Cedar Hill Cemetery sometime before 1970. A new marker was placed in Cedar Hill commemorating immigrant James Johnston. The original graveyard still exists, has many additional markers, and is well cared for.
7. A substantial, undetermined number of grave markers from the cemetery formerly located beside the German Reformed & Lutheran Church in Upton, Peters Township, were moved to Cedar Hill.
- John F. W. Pflueger; Kittochtinny Historical Society; Chambersburg, Pa.
return to Cemeteries of Franklin County, Pennsylvania homepage
return to Cemeteries Online! mainpage