Jacob Schnebele (Snively) was the first Mennonite settler in Antrim Township. In 1735, he settled on a tract of land between present Greencastle and Shady Grove. He had built a log cabin at what is now the site of a stone mansion built by his son Andrew Snively in 1781. The site is located on the north side of Zarger Road before it intesects with Grindstone Hill Road.
The Snively Family Graveyard was located north of the former site of this log cabin, in what was later an orchard. Apparently it had been surrounded by a stone wall and contained three headstones, marking the graves of Jacob Snively and his two wives. Andrew Snively requests that this cemetery "remain for the use of the family forever", according to his will in 1812.
The cemetery had been destroyed since the 1960s. It is likely that this burial plot contained the graves of Andrew Snively, his wife and family in addition to the three markers mentioned above. Four new grave markers were placed at Cedar Hill Cemetery commemorating the family of Andrew Snively.
Another Snively Graveyard (2) existed on the farm of Henry Snively across Zarger Road from the Andrew Snively homestead.
Lillian Colletta, "The Lure and Lore of Burial Grounds of Greencastle-Antrim", Kittochtinny Historical Society, Vol. XVII, (1978-1981), p.291.
Daniel R. Lehman, Mennonites of the Washington County, Maryland and Franklin County, Pennslvania Conference, (Lititz, Pa.:Eastern Mennonite Publications, 1990), p.10.
return to Cemeteries of Franklin County, Pennsylvania homepage
return to Cemeteries Online! mainpage