Jacob Schnebele (Snively) was the first Mennonite settler in Antrim Township. In 1735, he settled on a tract of land between present Greencastle and Shady Grove. He had built a log cabin at what is now the site of a stone mansion built by his son Andrew Snively in 1781. The site is located on the north side of Zarger Road before it intesects with Grindstone Hill Road.
The older Snively Graveyard (1) had existed on this site.
Across the road, Andrew Snively had built a house for his son Henry in 1799. Behind the barn associated with this house another Snively Graveyard was established. Seven headstones with the Snively surname were removed from this site to Cedar Hill Cemetery at an unknown date.
Lillian Colletta, "The Lure and Lore of Burial Grounds of Greencastle-Antrim", Kittochtinny Historical Society, Vol. XVII, (1978-1981), p.291.
Daniel R. Lehman, Mennonites of the Washington County, Maryland and Franklin County, Pennslvania Conference, (Lititz, Pa.:Eastern Mennonite Publications, 1990), p.10.
return to Cemeteries of Franklin County, Pennsylvania homepage
return to Cemeteries Online! mainpage