51 North Washington Street, Greencastle.
This church began with the United Brethren movement, led by Christian Newcomer as early as 1797. Services were held in private homes until 1816, when Bishop Newcomer organized converts into a congregation which met in one of the local school houses. In 1828, the congregation erected a frame and weatherboard church building. Dedication services were Feb. 11, 1829.
In 1884, the frame building was torn down, and a two story brick building was erected on the same site. The cemetery formerly located next to this church was removed to Cedar Hill Cemetery in July 1958.
A bronze plague is found in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Antrim Twp., with the following inscription:
"This hallowed place is dedicated to the memory of those originally buried in the cemetery of the First E. U. B. Church, Greencastle, between 1812-1889, and removed to this plot July 1958."
However, the grave markers recorded as lying in this cemetery do not appear at Cedar Hill. Perhaps the grave markers were destroyed?
W. P. Conrad, Conococheague: A History of the Greencastle-Antrim Community 1736-1971, (Greencastle-Antrim School District, Greencastle, Pa, 1971), p.134-135.
Lillian Colletta, "The Lure and Lore of Burial Grounds of Greencastle- Antrim, Journal of the Kittochtinny Historical Society, Vol. XVII, 1978-1981; p.299.
return to Cemeteries of Greencastle, Franklin Co., Pa.
return to Cemeteries of Franklin County, Pennsylvania homepage
return to Cemeteries Online! mainpage