The Scotch-Irish Presbyterians founded the Moss Spring Church in 1738, long before Greencastle was established. The building was made of logs. Between 1750 and 1767 the building was reconstructed, and described as a modest frame building, one story high, and constructed of weatherboard, painted red. The building was enlarged in 1804, to 28 ft. by 48 ft. and later known as the "Old Red Meeting House". The building stood at the northern end of the graveyard, and was dismantled about 1828.
Some graves were later moved from Moss Spring to Cedar Hill Cemetery, Antrim Township, because there was concern as to whether this cemetery would continue to receive care after church services discontinued.
W. P. Conrad, Conococheague: A History of the Greencastle-Antrim Community 1736-1971, (Greencastle-Antrim School District, Greencastle, Pa, 1971), p.132.
return to Cemeteries of Greencastle, Franklin Co., Pa.
return to Cemeteries of Franklin County, Pennsylvania homepage
return to Cemeteries Online! mainpage