Nissley Family Graveyard (former site),
Lancaster (city), Lancaster Co., PA

12. Nissley Graveyard (former site)

Located north of Chesnut Street, between North Duke and Lime Streets.

History:

This Mennonite graveyard was destroyed in 1836 or 1837 when the Pennsylvania Railroad was built into downtown Lancaster. The graveyard is first mentioned on a deed from Jacob Nissly and his wife to Sebastian Groff, dated June 12, 1776. According to legend, it also contained the remains of fourteen Conestoga Indians massacred in the work house prison of the Lancaster County Jail. Thereafter this graveyard was referred to as the "Indian Burial Ground".

  • 1930- Jacob H. Byrner, "The Old Graveyard Between Walnut, Chesnut, Lime and Cherry Streets, Lancaster", Lancaster County Historical Society Papers, vol.34, p.25-30.
  • 1935- William F. Worner, vol.7, p.249.

Related Articles:

  • Steven M. Nolt, "A Spirit of Exclusivity: The Progress of Religious Conflict in Colonial Pennsylania", Pennyslvania Mennonite Heritage, April 1996, p.2-16, see esp. p.8-11.

 

You may purchase a detailed, 67 page street map booklet of Lancaster County, including Manor Township, through Alexanderia Drafting Company.


Note: The textual information provided for each cemetery concerning location, history and record location is provided courtesy of the Lancaster County Historical Society and is taken from their c.1993 publication "Churches and Cemeteries of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania" by A. Hunter Rineer. To purchase this book or for additional information and records concerning cemeteries please contact the historical society at their website http://lanclio.org or email them at lchs@ptd.net.
return to
Cemeteries of Lancaster City

return to Cemeteries Online! homepage

This webpage was first created 6/23/1998

and last modified 01/05/2002

copyright 1998-2002, Darvin L. Martin, <dlmartin@genealogygoldmine.com>

all rights reserved