- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Lancaster (city), Lancaster
20. Trinity Lutheran
church at 51 South Duke Street to the south and east.
graveyard was started in the 1730s, and had become filled by
the 1840s. Trinity Lutheran Church started Woodward Hill
Cemetery between 1849 and 1852, and closed the church
graveyard to further burials in 1857. The front part of the
graveyard was removed in 1876 to make way for a chapel built
on South Duke Street. These stones and remains were moved to
Woodward Hill Cemetery. In 1949 the remainder of the
graveyard was removed to construct a parish house. Some
gravestones were deposited at the Pennsylvania Farm Museum.
A memorial wall, including some older gravestones, marks the
site of the cemetery.
- Earliest recorded
- Latest recorded
burial - 1827.
- Burial records,
1748-1820, Lancaster County Historical Society.
- Mary Nauman Robinson,
"Interments in Trinity Lutheran Graveyard,1724-1849",
Lancaster County Historical Society.
- George W. Leonard,
"Burials, 1749-1882", Lancaster County Historical
- John W. Lippold, "Old
Trinity Graveyard", Lancaster County Historical Society
Bulletin, vol.32 (1928), p.109-117.
- 1932- William F.
Worner, National Genealogical Society Quarterly,
- 1995- J. Fred
Brenner, "Trinity Lutheran Church Graveyard, from
Tombstone Catalog of Graveyard Stones stored at Landis
Valley Museum, Lancaster, Pa.", Lancaster Mennonite
You may purchase a detailed, 67 page street map
booklet of Lancaster County, including Manor Township, through
Note: The textual
information provided for each cemetery concerning location, history
and record location is provided courtesy of the Lancaster County
and is taken from their c.1993 publication "Churches and Cemeteries
of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania" by A. Hunter Rineer. To purchase
this book or for additional information and records concerning
cemeteries please contact the historical society at their website
http://lanclio.org or email them at email@example.com.
return to Cemeteries of
return to Cemeteries
This webpage was first created
and last modified 01/05/2002
copyright 1998-2002, Darvin L. Martin,
all rights reserved