Cemeteries of West Lampeter Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Let These Stones Speak, The Lancaster County, Pennsylvania series: Vol 3 - West Lampeter Township contains tombstone photographs documenting 7,408 indexed individuals buried in West Lampeter Township within the 16 cemeteries documented below.
Let These Stones Speak: West Lampeter Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania- Buy it now for $19.95
"Let These Stones Speak" is an interactive visual presentation of each cemetery, tombstone by tombstone. The tombstones are linked together on the CD in the same order they appear in the cemetery, giving the effect of actually walking through the cemetery, visiting the resting places of your ancestors.
The tombstones are also linked through an index, so one may quickly find the name of the individual of interest and click directly to the specified tombstone photograph.
Tombstone photographs may be printed or pasted into your personal genealogy program.
XP Service Pack 2 users click here.
1. former site of a graveyard, Long Rifle Road (0): This graveyard was marked on the 1864 and 1875 maps, north of Long Rifle Road. A. Hunter Rineer claims that the stones were moved to Willow Street Mennonite Church Cemetery 1910-1915, but the stones have never been identified. <see Mapquest map for approx. location>.
2. Goodman-Hershey Family Graveyard (41): Located on the north side of Golf road, within Media Heights Golf Course, east of Rt. 222. <see Mapquest map>.
3. Harnisch Family Graveyard (former site) (3): Located back Winding Way, east of Rt. 222. Two gravestones from here were moved to the New Danville Reformed Mennonite Cemetery, Pequea Twp, the other stone has been missing. If the site is ever excavated, it is likely that more tombstones would be discovered. <see Mapquest map for approx. location>.
4. Herr Family Graveyard (30): This graveyard is located west of Strasburg Pike, south of Spring Hollow Road, in a remote area overlooking the Pequea Creek. <see Mapquest map>.
5. Herr-Kendig-Spahr Family Graveyard (5): In February 2004, I rediscovered this graveyard on the north side of Waters Edge Drive at the beginning of the Meadows of Lyndon housing development. Originally the graveyard was much larger, and most was destroyed when a trolley line was constructed through this site in the late 1800s. What remains today was certainly moved from an earlier location. <see Mapquest map>.
6. Herr-Mayer Family Graveyard (41): Located west of Strasburg Pike, and north of Spring Hollow Road, this graveyard is currently being repaired. A total of 41 stones have been discovered, some of which have never been transcribed before. <see Mapquest map>.
7. Houser Family Graveyard (former site) (11): This graveyard formerly existed along Rockvale Road, on the Pioneer Ulrich Houser farm. The stones were moved to Longenecker Reormed Mennonite Church Cemetery before 1930. <see Mapquest map for approx. former location>.
8. Kreider-Snavely Family Graveyard (83): This graveyard is located north of Brenneman Road. The graveyard is in the process of repair. Milton Hershey, founder of Hershey chocolate, has maternal ancestors buried here. <see Mapquest map>.
9. Lampeter Reformed Mennonite Cemetery (122): This cemetery is located east of Lampeter Road, south of the square in Lampeter. The Reformed Mennonite Church was active here until the 1930s. Currently the church building is used as a dwelling. <see Mapquest map>.
10. Lefever Family Graveyard (46): This graveyard is located east of Gypsy Hill Road and north of Rt. 222. It was cleaned and repaired in the late 1990s. <see Mapquest map>.
11. Longenecker Reformed Mennonite Church Cemetery (3,044): This cemetery is located west of Strasburg Pike. The church and cemetery is the nucleus of the Reformed Mennonite demonination, founded in 1812. <see Mapquest map>.
12. Rohrer-Mylin Family Graveyard (85): Located on the east side of Gypsy Hill Road, north of Long Rifle Road. <see Mapquest map>.
13. Weber-Diffenbaugh Family Graveyard (former site) (21): Formerly located north of Pioneer Road, this graveyard was moved to Longenecker Reformed Mennonite Church Cemetery during the 1930s. <Mapquest map for approx. former location>.
14. Tschantz Graveyard (74): Located on the west side of Pequea Lane, south of Penn Grant Road. Sign claims that this is the oldest graveyard in Lancaster County. <see Mapquest map>.
15. Willow Street Mennonite Church Cemetery (3,530): Located west of Hans Herr Drive, this cemetery contains the earliest burials of the Herr family. <see Mapquest map>.
16. Willow Street United Church in
Christ Cemetery (304): Located east of Peach Bottom Road, this
cemetery was originally a Mylin family graveyard. <see
16 cemeteries over 6,000 photographs on 2 CDs
The most common surnames on the West Lampeter Township 2 CD set are found below by rank. For all surnames, follow the surname index for the whole Let These Stones Speak series.
1. Herr (512);
2. Weaver (279);
3. Eshleman/Eshelman (155);
4. Huber/Hoover (137)
5. Miller (136)
6. Witmer (122)
7. Trout (117)
8. Landis/Landes (108)
9. Harnish + var. (105)
10. Mylin (105)
11. Lefever (101)
12. Kreider/Krider (96)
13. Rohrer (78)
14. Reese (74)
15. Musser (68)
16. Hess (65)
17. Groff/Grofft/Graff (61)
18. Kendig/Kindig (58)
19. Houser (54)
20. Shank/Shenk (54)
Let These Stones Speak, Volume 3, West Lampeter Township, is a necessary research tool if you have interest in the above surnames, the above cemeteries, or have any ancestral or family connections to West Lampeter Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Please visit the Bookstore in you have interest in adding this CD to your genealogical collection.